Learn more about important topics that affect us all as we age
Join the Atlanta Regional Commission for the empowerline Forum Series to explore with others crucial topics related to aging in the region. Attendees include residents of metro Atlanta, professionals, service providers, nonprofit and healthcare organizations, caregivers, advocates, community leaders, and others. These seminars help us all better understand some of the complex issues that older people and individuals with disabilities face in our community. Each session will champion ways to promote quality of life for residents living in the Atlanta region regardless of age or abilities.
In Plain Sight: Elder Protection
Date: Tuesday, December 10
Time: 8:30 – 12 p.m.
Location: Heffner Hall, St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, 4882 Lavista Road, Tucker, 30084
One of the definitions of the word “face” is the aspect of something that is perceptible or obvious upon superficial examination. That is what makes elder abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation so scary; they are not always recognizable at first glance. In this half-day forum, experts will address the less-obvious sides of these phenomena, how to become alert to red flags, and what to do about them. Attendees will also learn how to share information about the enormity of the problem in order to prevent older individuals from becoming victims.
PAST FORUMS AND RESOURCES
Lifelong Communities – Making the Atlanta Region Age-Friendly
Date: August 19, 2019
- Program and Agenda
- Lifelong Communities Policy Brief
- Lifelong Communities Assessment Checklist
- Presentation: Harnessing Innovation for Lifelong Communities by Jana Lynott, Senior Strategic Policy Advisor, AARP Public Policy Institute’s Livable Communities
- Presentation: Advocacy & Action by Lauren Welsh, Co-Founder and Treasurer, ThreadATL
- Reimagine Aging Civic Dinner Information Sheet
- Metro Atlanta Transportation Policy Brief
- Metro Atlanta Housing Policy Brief
- Additional ARC Policy Briefings
- Additional ARC Lifelong Communities Resources
- Presenter Materials
Fostering Health Equity in our Communities
Date: June 27, 2019
- Program and Agenda
- Presentation: The Impact of Health Inequity by Mike Carnathan, Manager, Research & Analytics, ARC
- Presentation: Fostering Health Equity in Our Communities: Barriers, Facilitators, and Strategy by Chivon A. Mingo, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Gerontology Institute, Georgia State University
- Presentation: Aging in Inequity, by Robyn N. Bussey, Community Health Strategist, archi.
- Presentation: Fostering Health Equity in Our Communities: Cultural Competency, by McKenzie Wren, MPH
Help three ways
Your needs come first. How can we help you? Call now, open a chat window, or leave a message for us to contact you later.