Accessible living options for all individuals

You may have been born with a physical disability that limits your ability to walk, or maybe you were in a car crash and now use a wheelchair to move about independently. Or maybe you were diagnosed with glaucoma and are now legally blind.

Everyone deserves a place to live that they can physically access and navigate with ease. And yet, finding housing that meets the needs of individuals living with an impairment is a challenge for many people.

Are you trying to find housing that accommodates you appropriately?

You have the right to accessible housing; federal nondiscrimination laws provide protections for individuals with disabilities. This includes the Fair Housing Act, which prohibits housing discrimination because of disability.

If you think you are being discriminated against because of your impairment, the Southeast ADA Center can help answer your questions. They provide information, training, and guidance on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and disability access to individuals as well as businesses and governments.

Very low-income adults with disabilities may be eligible for the “Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities Program”. In Georgia, Section 811 provides subsidized rental housing that provides access to supportive services for very low-income individuals with a disability between the ages of 18 and 61. Supportive services can include assistance with cooking, cleaning, and maintaining the household; medication management and counseling; assistance in finding a job; orientation to transportation; and other services to ensure an individual’s stability, independence, and dignity. Participation in services is designed to meet the needs of each resident.

A similar program for very low-income households with at least one member age 62 years or older is known as the “Section 202 Supportive Housing for the Elderly Program”. Eligible people may qualify for rental assistance funds in housing facilities that offer support activities such as cooking, cleaning, and transportation.

If you do not require supportive housing with services, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers many other housing options for low-income individuals that are accessible for wheelchairs and other disabilities.

Contact Empowerline™ for help locating housing options in your area to accommodate your physical disability.

Do you like where you live but need some help to stay?

You may be finding it hard to live in your current home because you need certain modifications or additional help at home to remain independent.

If you are having trouble getting around in your home, you may need modifications—like adding grab bars and ramps—to help make your home a safer and more accessible place. Let Empowerline™ link you to trusted partners who can modify your home.

If you are a renter, your landlord may have the responsibility to reasonably accommodate your disability by making your home accessible to you. The Home Access Program is available for appropriate home modifications to prevent unnecessary entry into nursing homes. You can also check out the Independent Care Waiver Program (PDF), which offers support to some adults with physical disabilities on Medicaid to live in their own homes or communities.

There may be an assistive technology or emergency response system solution available to help you remain independent without any modifications to your physical space or services in your home. You can contact Empowerline™ counselors to explore your options or visit Tools for Life, Georgia’s Assistive Technology Act Program.

If you are having challenges keeping up with your household or personal tasks, there are options available called “Home and Community Based Services” (HCBS) that may be right for you, such as personal care or homemaker services. Explore more to learn about long-term services and supports planning. Contact Empowerline™ to explore which of these services you may qualify for.


What if I am experiencing homelessness?

If you have a disability and are experiencing homelessness, you can explore The Shelter Plus Care (S+C) program. Contact Empowerline™ to discuss housing as well as services and support options to fit your needs.


Do you want to live around other people, where you have access to services and supports?

A personal care home, assisted living facility, or nursing home may be the place for you if you would like some help with day-to-day living. Learn more about these options and how to best meet your needs by calling Empowerline™ at (404) 463-3333 or using the buttons below to contact us.

Most popular content

Eligibility, costs, and process

Once you’ve found the solutions that are right for you, we can answer all your questions about next steps and payment options.

Help three ways

Your needs come first. How can we help you? Call now, open a chat window, or leave a message for us to contact you later.

Help three ways

Your needs come first. How can we help you? Call now, open a chat window, or leave a message for us to contact you later.

Looking for the latest guidance on the Covid-19 virus?

The CDC has created this video: “Covid019: What Older Adults Need to Know.”  You can also read CDC’s full list of pandemic-related recommendations.

If you are looking to connect with resources and services for older persons and individuals and disabilities in metro Atlanta, please contact us at or 404-463-3333.